Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Marathon Preparation

"W ith about a month to go until marathon day, it's time for one last long run and some well earned rest and don't be tempted to do anything that might undo all your good work..."
Beg your pardon?! What good work? What well earned rest? I haven't been training since my final exam in August! When I do run, they are only casual jogs around the hell hole called Batu Pahat. I can't find a route long enough for training, and the lake garden where Batu Pahat people jog tires the brain before the legs feel anything! A lap of running around the lake is only a few hundred metres, by the time I reach 10 laps, I was dizzified. And don't get me started on the traffic condition here.

Someone once told me the 42-odd km distance of the marathon must be respected and deserves adequate preparation in order to successfully finish. Seasoned runners often plan one year ahead before the big event! I think I might just survive through my debut marathon. My goal is to finish. It's a marathon and not a race afterall...

7 spit-backs:

Las montañas said...

yes, self pep talk works when the real hard work still needs to be done. :P

Unknown said...

I also haven't been working out for quite sometime also...sigh! Without a proper place its really difficult for training la sum more ur schedule so busy ( doing report) in BP...haha. Anyway your aim is to finish the marathon and not about getting a medal so it's ok la

Raymond said...

I hv a fren who onced told me finishing the marathon in 5-6hrs by virtue is an insult to the race coz everyone can do 10k in 1hr,hence 4hr is decent in a marathon!And runners who wanted just to complete the marathon shud stay at home and sleep!haha
U need to increase your mileage regardless how the roads in BP are,if u want to finish the marathon alive whether clocking a good time or just finish eh!

K.K. said...

[LM]:
sigh... read ur comment edy make me feel more stressed... hahaha

[steve]:
ehhh... who say i not aiming for medal? die die oso wil rembat the medal back man! LOL!

[ray]:
oi, i that fren of urs is actually u urself lah! where can do simple maths liddat one?! nvr take into account metabolic equivalents, fatiqueability, O2 consumptions, road conditions, electrolyte imbalances, GI disturbance, etc etc. if one can run 10km 1hr, liddat everyone can cover 100km in 10hrs loh. LOL! eh, gip face to us newbies ok. furthermore, if i really giv all out and do 4hrs, i'll be pressurised to do sub-4hrs in my 2nd marathon. i'll do 6hrs this Dec. smart anot? LOL!

Las montañas said...

OK KK, listen: do you want to complete the marathon in one piece? Then do it at your own pace and even if it is going to take 5 hours, so be it! Even if poohbear is going to zoom past you, so be it! Even if Raymond is going to tease you, so be it! Even if you are the only guy left shuffling to tbe end point(due to extreme leg pain at the last 3KM), so be it!

Raymond said...

LOL LOL not me la,its my silly aussie fren tht featured in my latest post,what to do aussie culture ma very boastful and action one,i told him im hoping for 4.30,he said old grandmother in OZ can run faster than tht!!haha
Eh,what Lm said its very true leh,take it easy la since it's your first,make sure u don loose out to poohbear enuff la haha

K.K. said...

[LM]:
ok LM, will take it easy then! heheh, didn't plan to go all out also, was jz replying raymond's tease. my initial plan was to rest every 10K. hopefully can finish by 6hrs. now i feel less stressed up... LOL!
Note to self: "so be it!!!

[ray]:
eh brader! u very contradicting lah. kejap ask me run sub-4, kejap ask me do it easy! i dun care, i'll overtake u and nvr let u smoke me like u did in PD Half! NEVER!!! Huahhh hahahaha...



Click for ҜαίخόρЋЯзпїα™"s Table of Contents