Thursday, May 22, 2008

Heart Surgery

The heart, codenamed 4G15P

During my recent 65,000km service interval, my mechanic noticed the presence of engine oil and some carbon deposits on two of my spark plugs. The engine is consuming engine oil, he added casually, and further went on and said my 5-year old engine needed a top-overhaul!

Now you may have heard people saying their 10 or 20-year old car needed a total-overhaul, which practically includes dismantling the whole engine, fix all of the faulty components, and putting it back. What is top-overhaul then?

A top-overhaul on the other hand consists of just replacing the valve seals, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, cleaning of the valve and reposition them. Usually, the mechanic would also replace the timing belt and have the water pump inspected. The quoted price for a top-overhaul ranges from RM500 - 2500, depending of the severity of wear and tear.

Valve seals

A friend of mine suggested to have only the valve seals replaced, because the cause of carbon depositing onto the spark plugs is usually hardened valve seals. Plus, my 4G15P is only 5 years old and had done a meagre 65,000km. Replacement of valve seals requires baring the top part of the engine block, a procedure similar to open-heart surgery but still less invasive than a top-overhaul. With that, I sent my car to my trusted mechanic for valve seal replacement today!

I stayed in the shop for a while, witnessing two valves being replaced successfully by the trusted mechanic's son (he is a suave 28-year old and constantly talking on his cellphone). As there are altogether 12 valves to be replaced, I walked to a nearby coffeeshop for a drink. Minutes later, my mechanic friend called. "Problem!", he said. His son accidentally dropped one of the valve deep into the heart chamber, rendering it irretrievable. He was supposed to engage a gear and cog the piston up to stop the valve from dropping, but apparently he was having some telephone-sex with someone! A supposedly 2-hour operation is stretched to 36-hours! What the heck, I get a top-overhaul done for the cost of valve-replacement, which is less than RM100! Am getting my car back in a few hours time!

1 spit-backs:

Jonzz said...

Blessing in disguise?



Click for ҜαίخόρЋЯзпїα™"s Table of Contents