Monday, March 19, 2007

Portable Powwah!

I thought I'd better get a new portable HDD, seen as though my laptop has only 3 to 4Gb of free space, and with a 2Gb memory stick in my Sony T50 camera, that won't last long! So I managed to get a 80Gb Hitachi 2.5" portable harddrive and an ultra-tiny 2Gb pendrive (might as well!) last weekend. Both items were bought from the new IT wing on 4th Floor of Sunway Pyramid.

Let's start with the harddickdisk first. Me and Rachel went straight to the shop in which her cousin bought his harddrive several weeks ago. Not due to it's particularly cheap pricing, but the friendliness of the guys over there. Here's how my drive looks like, plus the external aluminum casing but sans the leather pouch:

The harddisk is by Hitachi; I wanted a Western Digital one but they're out of stock. On why I preferred Western Digital over Hitachi, it's all because the former sounded much cooler. I've no idea which perform better or of better quality though! Here's a pic of the drive with the included fake leather pouch:

Now the pricing. For 40Gb Western Digital 2.5" disks, it's RM180. RM200 would give you a 60Gb disk, while 80Gb ones are priced at RM240 (all prices are inclusive of a low-grade cheapo casing). I chose a better hardcore aluminum casing (by Zynet), and the package totalled RM258. I heard a 3.5" 200Gb Western Digital SATA drive (8MB Cache) can be bought for about the same price is it? The sales person fixed everything for us (we bought one each), so I had only a few seconds of glimpse of the actual harddrive before it's slotted into it's aluminum coffin. I remembered from the harddrive package that the drive was made in Thailand, though.

Managed to clear up some 20+Gb of junks from my laptop to the new drive. Transfer rate was adequately fast not too slow (how do I compare? Tiu!). Here's a size comparison between my new drive and my good 'ol Sony Clié TH55 PDA with casing:

Ok, enough of the drive already. Now the tiny pendrive/carddrive/flashdisk/fuckdick: it's mine for a mere RM55, and comes with a plastic casing and lanyard.

Works fantastically well, and I guess you could lose it as fantastically well too! Makes me think if they could make a pendrive so small, why the others are still making (proverbial/relatively) humongous + voluptuous pendrives? Welcome to the newest edition to the gadget family.

0 spit-backs:



Click for ҜαίخόρЋЯзпїα™"s Table of Contents