Monday, January 15, 2007

Allergic Rhinitis

The term is allergic rhinitis, a condition I suspected I had been having since I was little. Being plagued with moderately severe childhood asthma in my early years, I'm clearly an allergic person! Although the asthma attacks had stop since I was 10, this nose problem I had been having persisted.

The symptoms are alternating nasal blocks; sometimes my left nostril is blocked, sometimes right, at times both. This disturbs sleep and made me a mouth-breather.

Being posted in Otorhinolaryngology (E.N.T.) for the past 2 weeks cleared up my doubts. My E.N.T. teacher examined me and said I had a grossly hypertrophied (enlarged) inferior turbinate, in which the mucosa is pale (signifies long-term, chronic allergic reaction).


My nasal septum (the flesh that divides your nostril into two orifice), is deviated to the left. These predisposes me to a great risk of having sinusitis, as an enlarged inferior turbinate and a deviated nasal septum could block the drainage of maxillary sinus, thus causing mucus overflow, infection, and subsequently mucopurulent explosion! I could die!

He also examined my throat, and discovered my posterior oropharyngeal wall is nodular (small lymphatic swellings), a sign of chronic postnasal drip.


I did not know I was so pathological! (whimpers)...

0 spit-backs:



Click for ҜαίخόρЋЯзпїα™"s Table of Contents