Monday, December 11, 2006

The Diagnosis

I wished it was a simple case of a sprained wrist which would heal in a week or two. Turned out there were more to it than the naked eyes could see. While the pain on my right wrist had started to subside, I noticed some crackling noise on the ulnar side of my wrist in the past two days.

Concerned, I went to see two orthopaedic surgeons this morning and both concluded that I had a Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex (TFCC) injury.

This TFCC, also known as the 'wrist meniscus', functions very similarly to the knee meniscus. It provides a continuous gliding surface for the wrist's flexion, extension, and rotational movements, as well as cushioning the forces transmitted through the ulnocarpal axis, to name a few. Injuries to TFCC present with ulnar-sided wrist pain, often accompanied by clicking. Diagnosis clinched!

In my case, the cause of the injury was a distraction force applied to my right wrist when I attempted to stabilise the 500cc Yamaha Virago, with both my legs straight and astride the tractor-like bike. Moral of the story is, whenever you're gonna ride a low-seated cruiser bike, always place your arse on the seat before trying to lift it off the side stand. Simply because these bikes have lower seats and thus lower centre of gravity, making any pulling of stabilising them more difficult and injury-prone.

That said, I had to wallop these NSAID pills for 3 weeks. No weight-lifting for the next 1 month, I guess. Damn...

0 spit-backs:



Click for ҜαίخόρЋЯзпїα™"s Table of Contents